This article explains how to create a case in ByCommittee P&T starting from a blank case. See here for more information on creating a case based on a template. Cases can be created for any unit in the hierarchy of an organization.
Select a unit for the case and click "Confirm"
Note: Cases can be created for any unit in the hierarchy of an organization.
Enter the candidate's name and email and select whether or not the candidate will submit a packet
For the question "Will the Candidate Submit a Packet?" choose "Yes" if the candidate will be submitting materials online through ByCommittee. This setting cannot be changed after this step.
Case Data Forms
The forms you add here can only be filled out by an Administrator. Candidates will never see the questions or answers of a case data form.
Note that case data forms are created from the Administration page and attached when creating or editing a template or case. See here for more information on how to create a new case data form.
Note that forms may already be attached if creating a new case based on a template that employs case data forms.
Create a packet of required candidate documents and forms
You can create a packet of required documents and forms and also add new custom sections to the packet, each with specific required documents, forms and due dates.
Edit the "Candidate Documents" section of the packet
A single packet section labeled "Candidate Documents" appears by default. Click the edit pencil to change the name of this section, add a description, set a due date, and indicate if candidates will be allowed to add additional documents (beyond the requirements) to the section.
Click "Add Section" to add a new section to the packet
Enter the name, description, and due date for the packet section, and indicate whether or not candidates can add additional documents to the section
To change the order in which the packet sections will appear to the candidate, put your cursor over the section name and drag and drop
Click "Add Requirement" to add a document or form requirement to a packet section
If the requirement you want to create is a document:
- Enter the name
- Add any notes about the requirement
- Indicate if the document is required or optional
- Enter a number of documents. This can be a specific number, a range, or have no limit.
Select the form from the dropdown menu and click "Save"
Note: Forms are created from the Administration page. For more information see this article on how to Create a New Form.
To change the order of the document and form requirements within the packet section, put your cursor over the section name and drag and drop
Click "Add New Step" to begin setting up the workflow of case review steps for the case
Here you will add all of the steps (in sequential order) that will be part of the promotion and/or tenure review for the case. The steps you add should match the promotion review process of your organization. Each step you add must have at least one committee assigned to it. You can assign additional committees if multiple committees require access to the packet at the same step.
Add a committee to the case review step
You can add an existing standing or case-specific (ad-hoc) committee to the case review step, or you can create a new case-specific committee. Remember that more than one committee can be added to a case review step if multiple committees require access to the case at the same step.
To add an existing committee: Select an existing standing or case-specific committee from the dropdown list
Note that you can search for a committee by name.
Name the new committee and click "Add"
You can assign members to the committee once it is added to the step.
If you added a new case-specific committee you will need to add members
Click "Edit Committee" to add members to the committee.
Search for the user and click "Add" or click "New" to create a user and add them directly to the committee
You can give multiple committees access to the case at this step
You can edit the step you've created if you need to give additional committees access to the case at this step.
If a step has more than one committee, you can name one or more of these as a "Primary" committee
Designating a committee as "primary" means that the Committee Manager of that committee can move the case forward or backward in the workflow of case review steps. You must have at least one primary committee. If a step only has one committee, that committee is considered "Primary" by default.
Open the "Manage Administrators" tab to view the Administrators who will have access to the case at this step
To recuse an Administrator, click the recusal icon
You will see a list of Administrators who have access to the case at this step. Click the recusal icon to recuse an Administrator. Once recused, the Administrator will not be able to view or access the case at this step.
Continue adding case review steps and committees until you have created the entire workflow of the promotion case
In the example workflow below there are three workflow steps in the promotion process:
- The first step is titled "Music Department Tenure Review." Two committees have access to the case at this step; the "Department Review," and the "Chair's Evaluation and Recommendation."
- The second step is titled "School Level Review." The "School of Music Rank and Tenure" committee has access to the case at the step. After hearing the case, the committee can move it forward to the next step or send it back to the previous step.
- The third and final step is the "University Level Review Committee," where the case is heard by the "University Rank and Tenure Committee." At this step the "Demo University Community Review" also has access to the case, but "University Rank and Tenure Committee" is the primary committee who can recommend or deny promotion, or send the case back to an earlier step.
To reorder the steps click the "Reorder" button at the top right of the page
Note: You can also use the "Collapse" button at the top left of the page to collapse the steps.
Review your case
Check back over your case for errors and completion. Once your case is created:
- Click "Return to Case' to view the individual case page where you will find documents, forms, and external evaluations once they are submitted
- Click "Notify Candidate" to let the candidate know to begin collecting and submitting materials
- Click "Send Forward" to move the case to the first case review step in the workflow
- Click "Select Status" to apply a status to the case