You can request letters of recommendation from letter writers directly through your Interfolio account. When you send a new request, your letter writer will receive instructions (via email or a printed form, whichever you prefer) with all the information they need to upload or mail their letter to Interfolio.
Note: If you have a copy of your letter of recommendation, it can be uploaded as the document type “Other Document”.
Follow these instructions to request a new letter of recommendation through Interfolio.
Fill out required fields, title your document, and indicate due date
- We need the name and email address of your recommender so we can be sure to verify the document when it is received.
- Give your document a title so you can easily identify it when it appears in your Dossier.
- Indicate a due date for the benefit of your recommender.
Indicate signature requirement and whether or not the request is for a confidential letter of recommendation
- Note whether or not the letter requires a signature—most letters do.
- Important: To ensure confidentiality, don't forget to indicate whether or not you are requesting a confidential letter of recommendation.
- By requesting a confidential document, you acknowledge that you waive all rights of access to this letter.
You have two options for requesting your letter
After you click Continue, you are taken to a screen where you can choose how to send your letter request.
Select "Email" if you want the request to be emailed to your recommender
- Enter the email address of your letter writer.
- You’ll have the option to include your CV and other supporting documents from your Dossier.
- You can also let your writer know if this is a general recommendation or needs to be tailored for a specific opportunity.
- You can include a link to an online announcement, or copy and paste a text desciption of the opportunity to which you are applying.
- You have the option to add a message to your recommender. This note will be included in the request email.
Select "Printed Form" if your recommender will be sending a hard copy of your letter directly to Interfolio
After sending your request, you will be able to download a cover sheet to provide to your letter writer
This cover sheet MUST be attached to your letter when when it is submitted to Interfolio.
Note: If you’d like to send the request as an attachment to a personal email, and not via Interfolio, you can save the printed form as a PDF and include it with a personal note to your writer directly from your email address.
Review and send your request
- It's a good idea to check back over your request. Remember, you cannot edit a request after we email your letter writer.
- Once you hit send, you should see a confirmation message showing your email was sent or giving you the option to print the document request form
- Your Documents page should now display your newly made request as a pending document, with the status Not Received (See Dossier Glossary of Terms)
Note: Occasionally, these letter requests will go to your recommender’s spam folder. If you need to resend your request, click the Resend button next to this request on your Documents page.